This is important information on
The Northern New England Royal Rangers Climbing Wall Staff Certification Program
We have been, and continue to be, fully invested in the development of the program for our climbing wall. Many, if not most of you, were introduced to the wall at Maine Yukon Day. In the continuing development of that program we are building a set of safety rules & procedures for the wall as well as an ongoing plan for its use both as a recreational event and a training tool. In order for the wall to be used effectively and safely we need a team of individuals within the district who will be certified wall attendees/operators. We have arranged for a climbing school in Bar Harbor Maine to train a team for this purpose. I will attempt to spell out as precisely as possible what and who we are searching out and what the training is going to consist of.
We are looking for
(1) No more than (12) adult leaders to participate in the1st training.
(2) The Training is scheduled for June 1st – 2nd , 2013
(3) We will be camping in Bar Harbor the night of May 31st and June 1st. You do not have to camp on Friday night as long as you are at the designated meeting sight for the Saturday training event.
(4) The Training itself will cost $110.00 per trainee. I have calculated the cost of camping & food to be $35.00 per person making the total for the training $145.00. You’re responsible to get there. There will be a refundable deposit of $25.00 expected when you register by May 15th. Please send your registration and Deposit to Cmdr. Kendall Sperrey and make sure to indicate on your registration whether or not you are signing up for the camping and meals plan.
(5) The Training will consist of 1 full day of Rock Climbing in Beautiful Acadia National Park and ½ day training on the NNE Climbing wall. The wall will be set up on the Local YMCA property and YMCA members will be participants on the wall during the half day wall training session.
A few thoughts and considerations . . . .
I would encourage each outpost to identify one commander from your outpost or an individual from your church to become qualified as a wall attendee. I would also like to encourage, you, outpost coordinators to find a way to send that individual for training. If the funding is not in your ranger budget ask your pastor if the church can help. The plan for this program is to make this wall available to all churches and outposts in the district for outpost events, a fundraising mechanism, or a promotional tool for community events. For instance, my church wants to use it for VBS. In order for the wall to be used by anyone it will be required that a trained attendee be on hand for any such event. If you do not have a trained individual, certified by the district, in your church, you will be required to pay to have such an individual on hand in order to use the wall. For example, the youth pastor in my church plans to be a part of this team.
In Case you’re worried, the climbing will not be extreme. It will be at an introductory level for the purpose of training in the basic techniques, terminology/commands, familiarity with equipment, etc and to introduce everyone to the sport of climbing enough so we will have an understanding of the application of what we are doing. Then, we will use that knowledge gained and apply it to the wall. This will be an exciting weekend, the only danger is that it’s possible someone may get hooked on the sport. It will be a fun event!
I have attached the flyer for use in promoting this in your church or just as a personal reminder. Times and schedules will be arranged as we get closer to the event.
Remember, It’s First-Come First-Serve so I will take names with that in mind and build a reserve list of names as necessary.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Documents located here